January 2, 2024 3 min read


Man in Custody after Gunshots near Las Vegas Strip

There were no wounded or killed during the incident but the alleged shooter did not appear in court on Monday due to medical reasons

A person, who allegedly shot from an MGM Signature Towers balcony in Las Vegas was arrested by police last week. An unconfirmed number of witnesses contacted police to report the shooting which occurred in the early morning hours on Sunday. Besides police officers, SWAT team members were also dispatched to the location of the incident at Koval Lane and Harmon Avenue.

The incident occurred near the Las Vegas Strip but according to media reports, there were no victims or anyone harmed. The first shots were reportedly heard around 6:30 on Sunday with KLAS reporting more than 30 police cruisers and an ambulance seen on the site of the incident.

Once law enforcement was able to determine the balcony from where the shots were made, they conducted a “slow and methodical search of the units.” Police found a firearm, ammunition and also detained a 45-year-old man identified with initials J.L., who was the alleged shooter. According to the recent report, the shooting was an “isolated incident” that didn’t result in the death or harm of any bystanders.

It is believed that J.L. discharged the handgun between 30 and 40 times. In light of this, the person reportedly faces 74 criminal charges. Some 72 of the aforementioned charges are related to discharging a gun in a prohibited area. The 45-year-old is reportedly also facing charges for destruction of property.

Suspect to Appear in Court Wednesday

Discharging a weapon from inside a structure or a vehicle is currently prohibited in Nevada. According to the current laws, discharging a gun in a structure such as a house or an office building is labeled as a misdemeanor. Such crimes carry a penalty of up to six months of imprisonment and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

It is yet to be determined what penalty the alleged shooter may face after the recent incident at MGM Signature Towers. Due to medical reasons, the alleged perpetrator did not appear in court on Monday. The person is scheduled to appear on Wednesday before a hearing master.

Luckily, there were no people wounded or killed in the shooting on Sunday. However, this was not the case with the massive shooting in Las Vegas dating back to 2017. At the time, a 64-year-old man opened fire from his 32nd-floor hotel room at the Mandalay Bay.

The horrifying crime resulted in the death of 60 people, with more than 400 being injured and the subsequent panic taking the total number of injured to nearly 900. After shooting 1,000 rounds, the 64-year-old murderer was found dead in his hotel room from a self-inflicted fatal gunshot wound.


William Velichkov is a research-driven writer. His strengths lie in ensuring factual accuracy, vetting government documentation and reaching out to regulators and other officials. He is particularly fond of financial reporting, the sports betting industry, B2B partnerships and esports betting developments. William is a strong asset to the GamblingNews team as he adds a bedrock to our reporting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *