Interpol Seeks Philippine Gambling Magnate Charlie Ang

Key Points
  • Authorities are hunting a gambling magnate in the Philippines over 34 disappearances, with Interpol issuing a Red Notice and doubling the reward for information on his whereabouts

Philippine authorities are stepping up the search for a high-profile businessman, Charlie “Atong” Ang, who is now the subject of an Interpol Red Notice

International Alert

The 68-year-old gambling magnate is the primary suspect in the disappearance of at least 34 people between 2021 and 2022, all of whom were allegedly involved in cockfighting, known locally as “sabungeros.”

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) requested an international alert in mid-January as part of a wider effort to track Ang down. 

Despite last week’s 10 search operations, DILG secretary Juanito Victor Remulla confirmed on Tuesday that Ang’s whereabouts remain unknown. 

“We’re serious here,” Remulla said, emphasizing that Ang is considered armed and dangerous. Authorities recently doubled the reward for any information that might lead to his capture, from PHP 10 million ($172,700) to PHP 20 million ($345,200).

Ang is wanted under multiple arrest warrants, facing charges including “kidnapping, serious illegal detention, and kidnapping with homicide” in connection with the missing sabungeros.

Rumors have suggested he might have fled the country to places like Cambodia, but Remulla says intelligence reports indicate the man is still in the Philippines.

Hotlines and Ongoing Raids 

The manhunt has become a major focus for law enforcement. Officials have set up dedicated hotlines, crowdsourced tips, and coordinated raids to locate Ang. The Interpol Red Notice adds an international dimension, alerting police agencies worldwide that he can be provisionally arrested pending extradition.

Ang is no stranger to the spotlight. Former President Rodrigo Duterte reportedly called him the “number one gambler” in his hometown and even sought Ang’s help in addressing illegal gambling in the country. 

In 2000, Ang was involved in a scandal involving former President Joseph Estrada, who was accused of funneling gambling funds during a period that eventually led to Estrada’s impeachment.

While Ang remains at large, his 20 co-accused, including former and current police officers, are in custody.

Authorities continue to emphasize that Ang’s capture is a top priority, framing the search as a national law enforcement effort with high stakes and public attention.

Senior Writer

Melanie specializes in analyzing legalities and the ongoing development of land-based gaming infrastructure. She tracks zoning regulations, casino expansions, and the legislative hurdles of resort development. Her sharp insights guide operators through the complex permitting processes required to build tomorrow’s premier brick-and-mortar gaming destinations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *