Borgata in Atlantic City Returns, Reopens on July 26

Borgata in Atlantic City, NJ has announced plans to reopen the casino and hotel on Sunday, July 26.

Closed Because of COVID-19 in March, Borgata Plans to Reopen on July 26

The famous Borgata casino by MGM in Atlantic City, New Jersey has announced its plans to reopen on July 26. Back in mid-March Governor Phil Murphy has announced the closing of Atlantic City’s all nine casino hotels. This was an effort by the state to help reduce the spread of the respiratory disease COVID-19. After more than three months of suspended operations, casinos in Atlantic City were allowed to reopen on July 2.

Although Borgata was cleared to reopen along with the other 8 operators, the casino chose to remain closed for a little longer. Borgata’s president and chief operating officer Melonie Johnson, said in a statement, that the casino: “took a step back to reassess our reopening date.” Johnson outlined that Borgata wanted to make sure that world-class experience will be delivered for its visitors in the safest manner.

Following State’s Rules, Borgata’s Venue Will Operate with 25% Capacity

The Borgata features the staggering 2,000 hotel rooms as well as an event venue bigger than 100,000 sq ft. With that in mind, within the post-COVID-19 rules for operating, New Jersey limits the capacities of all venues to 25%. Although the casino plans to reopen on Sunday, July 26, indoor dining won’t be offered. Furthermore, the Borgata said that it will shut down every other slot machine in order to ensure social distancing.

Keeping in mind the size of the Borgata, we cannot miss to mention the staggering revenue which was raised last year. Records show that Borgata’s revenue hit $798.0 million in 2019. This is truly a hefty amount when compared to the second casino on the list which is the Golden Nugget which raised $378.4 million for the same period. With that in mind, we can only hope that the gaming industry in the state will recover quickly after the devastating hit by COVID-19 this year.

Borgata’s Plans for Safe Post-COVID-19 Operations

In a statement, Borgata has announced that although no indoor dining will be available initially, the company will offer new outdoor dining experience. The operator added that a takeout program is also going to be introduced. “We appreciate our guests’ and employees’ patience and understanding and look forward to welcoming them back.” – said the operator.

The Borgata, which is a property owned and operated by MGM said: “MGM has compiled its own internal team and processes to respond if a guest or employee tests positive for Covid-19.” The operator urged to be alerted by guests over a special email in the event of a positive COVID-19 test. The Borgata said that it will report positive test results simultaneously to the local health departments. In addition, the operator said that it will also help with the contact tracing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *