- Legal States
Rachael Price May 1, 2020 3 min read
Virtual Kentucky Derby to Take Place May 2: Odds and Picks
One of the greatest horse racing tipsters of all times, Jody Demling, hasn’t quite stated his opinion about the upcoming 2020 Virtual Kentucky Derby taking place on Saturday, May 2. Yet, this hasn’t stopped us from taking a look ourselves.
2020 Virtual Kentucky Derby Overview
The Kentucky Derby is one of the most famous horse races in the world. The event usually takes place on the first Saturday of May and it is organized annually in Louisville, Kentucky, United States. This year it’s going to be the 146th derby, which is unfortunately postponed from May 2 to September 5 due to the coronavirus spread.
Fans, however, will not be left disappointed. A Virtual Kentucky Derby is planned to air tomorrow, May 2. It will include a race between 13 historic Triple Crown winners. The race will take place at a virtual analog of Churchill Downs, the track length will be 1 1/4-mile as in the real derby.
Given the current virus outbreak, there won’t be any real betting allowed as the virtual derby will be a charity event above all else. Up to $2 million in donations to COVID-19 relief efforts will be allocated by Churchill Downs.
The donations will be based on punters choosing a favorite horse they wish to back. To enter the race, each punter will have to make a donation and help Churchill Downs in their effort to raise the money.
Odds on the 2020 Virtual Kentucky Derby
Where to Watch the Kentucky Derby?
Given that this is the first Virtual Kentucky Derby, people would probably not want to miss it. Here is where the Derby can be watched:
- Date: Saturday, May 2
- Time: 5:45 p.m. ET
- Streaming: NBC Sports
And here is a full list of the planned events for this Saturday:
- 9:00 a.m. Virtual Tour of Churchill Downs—Live on KY Derby Social Media
- 10:00 a.m. Virtual Tour of Claiborne Farm Live on KY Derby Social Media
- 12:00 p.m. “The Greatest Race”—Kentucky Derby Museum Movie KY Derby Social Media
- 12:15 p.m. Kentucky Derby Museum Kids Craft L on KY Derby Social Media
- 12:45 p.m. Triple Crown Showdown: Handicapper Roundtable KY Derby Social Media
- 1 p.m. DIY Fascinator Making Live on KY Derby Social Media
- 2:00 p.m. Bourbon, Horses & History: Stories & Cocktail Crafting Live on KY Derby Social Media
- 3:00-6:00 p.m. The First Saturday in May: The American Pharoah Derby NBC
- 5:00 p.m. Virtual Toast KY Derby Social Media
- 5:15 p.m. My Old Kentucky Home KY Derby Social Media
- 5:45 p.m. Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown NBC
- 6:00-8:00 p.m. Arkansas Derby NBCSN
Inspired Entertainment, the company behind this virtual horse racing festival, has already realized some decent projects. Including the Grand National which was watched by a whopping 5 million people!
The Virtual Kentucky Derby Horses to Bet on Tomorrow
Looking at the odds for Virtual Kentucky Derby, Secretariat looks like the top pick. The horse is historically about 2 seconds quicker than any of the other contenders.
Keeping in mind that this will be a virtual simulation, one simply cannot predict what the computer will make out of as the winner. With that being said, some help from Jody Demling would be great, even though no prediction is shared so far by the top horse racing tipster.
Secretariat and Citation should come as handy picks for your Trifecta, though.
Rachael is a veteran gaming journalist with over 9 years of writing experience but has only just started within the gambling industry. She has built a keen interest within the iGaming sector over the years from exposure at events and intends to translate her passion into publications here at GamblingNews.com to keep our readers updated with the latest developments.