October 31, 2022 3 min read

Bradley Leaves The Star Following Inquiry

The Star Entertainment Group has parted ways with Gerard Bradley, one of its board of directors members. Bradley had previously announced that he may exit the company’s board and has now officially resigned from the position.

Bradley Left as He Had Promised

Bradley first shared that he is considering resigning from the company right before the Bell Inquiry into Star’s business. After the latter uncovered numerous anti-money-laundering protocol breaches Bradley confirmed that he will make leave the company within a few months.

Bradley believes that Star’s board of directors must take some responsibility for the company’s mistakes. The director also believes that the group could have done more and is guilty of not following its own acceptable code of conduct and risk management measures. In an earlier statement, he said:

The board has responsibility for the culture of an organization and the way in which it operates. This was clearly not in accordance with our acceptable code of conduct and our risk management approach.

Gerard Bradley, former director, The Star Entertainment

Bradley noted that the board was not aware of the way in which the aforementioned breaches occurred. Still, according to him, this further emphasizes the board’s shortcomings. He cited accountability responsibility as the reason for his personal leave.

The Star’s Board Wished Bradley All the Best

The Star later confirmed Bradley’s intentions to leave the company. Following the publishing of the Bell Inquiry in September, Bradley has finally decided to hand in his resignation. The director will vacate his seat with immediate effect. This ends his almost decade-long tenure with the Australian casino giant.

Ben Heap, The Star’s chair, thanked Bradley for his “considerable contribution” to the company and said that the entire board was happy to have him around. Heap wished the departing director all the best in his future endeavors.

The Company Is Hellbent on Doing Better

The numerous AML breaches cost The Star its Sydney license. Furthermore, the company was slapped with a $64 million fine, which is the highest fine the NSW Independent Casino Commission (NICC) has ever issued.

Yet, despite its failings, The Star Sydney was allowed to continue its business under the strict administration of a NICC-appointed manager. The casino giant is now seeking to rebuild its business and regain its client’s trust. To that end, The Star Entertainment Group unveiled a remediation program, saying that it is ready to do better. While the company realizes the challenges it is currently facing,  its team is not ready to give up yet.

Co-editor

Angel has a passion for all forms of writing, be it fiction or nonfiction. His curious nature gives him an ace up his sleeve when researching a new topic. Angel’s thirst for knowledge, paired with adaptability, always helps him find his way around.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.